Friday, December 25, 2009

The Dehli Belly and A Merry Christmas

I think it was about 3 in the morning when I completely lost it. The past eight hours of "purging"had taken its toll. I struggled to push my sweat drenched body off the floor of my hut where I had just spent the past 15 minutes doubled up over a bucket. My abs, from over use had unfortunate stopped working properly and cramped up with each heave, prompting my body to contort into positions where my muscles could relax. The severe dehydration and fatigue had finally went to my head, my thoughts were random and didn't make sense. My sickness manifested itself in my mind as a sour old lady who for reasons unbeknownst to me would not leave me alone. it would be another four hours of this before I managed to fall asleep face up on the floor with my feet propped up on the bed the only position I could find that would ease my stomach. The Delhi belly Sharmila calls it and you haven't been to India unless you have gotten it I am told. It is a violent reminder that clean water and food is something I take for granted but is a luxury only few can afford. It would be 4 days until I could eat again and a few more until I gained my strength back to climb. But I managed to get well just in time for Christmas eve after a day of great climbing we were greeted with a hug feast, games and a British Santa that handed out secret Santa gifts. Christmas Day brings climbing, of course, and a cricket game during that day, should be fun.
Tomorrow a group of us are travelling down south to a new sandstone climbing area called Bodomy which is rumored to be amazing. My tendons are continuing to get stronger, before I got sick I managed to send Goan Corner V8 probably the most stunning arete I have ever climbed my friend Ben managed to get the send on film so I will post that when I can. Well I wish everyone back home a very Marry Christmas and until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Nice description. So graphical. Too graphical... Now I'm feeling sick.

    It was sweet being there to see your send of Goan Corner. You are a machine.

    ReplyDelete