Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Climbing in Hampi

I have been in hampi for almost 2 weeks now. Unfortunately I am nursing 2 tendon injuries. I injured them while i was in bishop and thought they felt better after taking 3 weeks off before arriving in hami. The first day climbing here I got way to excited and climbed a problem named kingfisher, a classic V6 or so with a small left crimp in the crux. This unfortunately did not make my tendons happy and they started acting up again, so i have been stuck climbing problems with slopers or holds I can open hand with my left, hampi, being the land of crimpers makes this difficult. Even with my injuries I am having an amazing time. I managed to climb a problem called double tap, which is an amazing 7b that climbs a tall double arete, that ranks as one of the best climbs I have ever done (picture of that climb to come). The atmosphere and vibe of hampi is amazing. Life is very simple. I wake up early climb until it got too hot than come back and order breakfast than hang out drinking chi, playing chess, slacklining and reading until it cools down enough to go climbing again. As the darkness encroaches I wonder back to the guest house and enjoy another massive Indian dinner topped off with one of Shamilia's( guest house owner) amazing deserts. All for dirt cheap. Not a bad life.
As for the climbing the amount of rock in hampi is unreal there is rock as far as the eye can see. Ben, an Aussie friend, and I rented mopeds for a day and cruised up to the local lake for a swim and than explored some of the windy dirt roads that run through the fields of boulders connecting small towns. I was amazed at how much room there is for development in hampi. Only a fraction of what could be climbed here has been and the climbing is good. A bit sharp but no sharper than bishop or Joshua Tree. Well that is enough out of me, I wish everyone well enjoy the pictures, and until next time...

2 comments:

  1. nice post... sums up the life in hampi pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this valuable knowledge.
    I've read a lot of blogs, but I've never seen anything quite like this. Furthermore, I'm grateful for the opportunity to introduce myself through your posts. All you've written has left me speechless. For an instance, I've bookmarked this for future reference because it's still really useful, even after many years.
    climbing in Delhi
    Delhi rock climbing
    mountain climbing in Delhi
    climbing competition videos
    climber Harish

    ReplyDelete