Monday, February 15, 2010

Badami Round II

As time began to run short for me in India my friend Otso suggested one more trip to Badami. I felt I had a very successful trip in Hampi, sending all but a few projects, so I agreed to go. Our crew was smaller this time comprised of Otso, Camilla, Kaare, Autumn, Dean, Tom and I. We said our goodbyes in Hampi and made our way to the local bus station to catch our bus, which we opted to take instead of the taxi. Tom, Dean and I were on top of the bus trying to secure our crash pads as the bus started to leave the station. The last thing I heard was Dean yell "This isn't safe!" as they bail off the top and climb aboard. Knowing the road conditions and the way these buses drive I knew our crash pads were as good as lost if I didn't tie them down, so i hunkered down and tried to speed up the process while yelling at the bus to stop. Not wanted to endure a couple hours on top of the roof, I quickly finished, jumped off and hopped aboard the moving bus. My knots lucky held and we arrive in Badami just as it got dark with all the crashpads still aboard. We celebrated our safe journey with delicious Indian Thali's, a common Indian meal with three different curries, rice, curd and roti bread with a dessert all for a little over a dollar, and of course Kingfisher beer.

Having spent more time in India since my last Badami trip I was able to relax and enjoy this trip more than the first one, despite the noise, filth and general chaotic vibe of India. I was also prepared for the kids, this trip. At the first sound of "school pen" I would turn and with wide eyes and a big goofy grin and go chasing after the kids yelling "school pen!" in my best witches voice. This usually did the trick either making them laugh or shocked them enough to not ask for anything else. The climbing was amazing, hopefully these pictures do this place justice.

Its funny, being in India I got to experience so many new things and my trip is full of little moments which I think back to and are so grateful to have been apart of. One of those moments happened during our last day in Badami. Otso and I had been climbing at an area bordering a small dirt path. We were told by the many kids that walked by with there cricket bats that it was a holiday and there was no school. Soon we found ourselves surrounded by close to twenty boys. I pulled the whole school pen routine chases them, tugging at there shirts, which they found very funny and the begging stopped. They watched us climb, helped spot and cheered when we sent. During our breaks they would climb atop the boulders and dare each other to jump off onto the crash pad. Otso showed them how it was done and soon the boys were taking turns jumping onto my pad as I took pictures. The heat was setting in so we started to pack up. The kids saw this and told us to come play cricket with them. We agreed and followed them to a flat sandy field where fifty some boys where playing a couple games of cricket. As I sat my pad down I was swarmed by kids all fighting over a place to sit on it. Otso and I would take turns bowling for the kids, all of which wanted a turn to hit a ball bowled from a westerner. Some of the older boys would stand next to me critiquing my bowling technique yelling, "wide, wide!" or "Good bowling!" when I managed to hit a wicket. I was soon offered a turn at bat and the kids took turns bowling for me, laughing when I missed and cheering when I made a good hit. The cricket soon turned to play fighting and typical boy shenanigans. I sat down and watched as the boys practiced there long jumping in the sand and laughed as one boy would drag his frightened friends up to me and tell me to wrestle or kick-box them. Rarely have I found anyone to be this friendly and open to strangers, but my time in India was filled with encounter like this, which I feel very fortunate to have experienced.

Otso on Badami Two Tap


Me on a unnamed 5.12ish climb. Photo Kaare Iverson


Camilla on an unnamed Classic


Otso on possibly the second ascent of Marble Rye.


More boys of Badami.


Official Asana pad testers. Apparently jumping down is more fun than climbing up.


The Badami round two crew enjoying a kingfisher.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks a lot for mentioning us & great to see a bunch of happy faces Enjoying the Good Times!

    Cheers,
    Team Kingfisher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog Conrad!
    It takes me back... all of it seems so far away now that I'm back sitting behind a desk.
    Beautifull pics by the way.
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Dr. Vijay Mallya, the owner of the United Breweries Group (UB Group -- owner of Kingfisher Beer) is also the owner of my newspaper company. I laughed when I read your mention of the beer. That stuff was always sitting around our Sausalito office.

    I love picturing you chase all the kids around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so nice Radicle... I wish I had been there !

    You're a good pen. Your writing is really enjoyable...

    ReplyDelete